A VISION for a New ALBERTA
“Pivoting – vehicles going autonomous by 2028!
Phase 1 – Autonomous QE Hwy 2 – Canada’s first innovation
autonomous vehicle (AV) corridor by 2023”
Transportation is an essential component of any economy’s infrastructure. The following article highlights changes Alberta must anticipate: the enmasse retiring of truck drivers, backed up and archaic transportation “systems”, and the imminent arrival of automated vehicles (AV).
We view change as OPPORTUNITY, an opportunity for Alberta to lead in the automation of transportation. Consider, by “Automating the QE” Alberta would be creating a North American first, establishing an economic corridor – the first leg of an automated link to Denver, and stirring innovation. Agree? Send us feedback now!
Phase 1 – Autonomous QE Hwy 2 – Canada’s first innovation autonomous vehicle (AV) corridor by 2023”
Autonomous Alberta – a not-for-profit organization to provide leadership to assist Alberta in creating an environment that will enable the Province to become the first jurisdiction in North America to become autonomous technology (AT) friendly and that autonomous vehicles (AV) become pervasive as the primary means of mobility for persons, goods and services by 2028.
To address impediments that stand in the road of autonomous technology development and commercialization, and to become the enabler for attaining the vision of an Autonomous Vehicle Alberta.
Action planning includes:
- Government Advocacy
- Advise all levels of Government related to autonomous technologies (AT)
- Advise and ensure that appropriate infrastructure and eco-system resources are available necessary to foster the benefits of AT
- Research new Autonomous Vehicle Acts of California
- Ensure that Alberta Highway Act aligns with other jurisdictions
- Arrange suitable insurance coverage
- Experimental Autonomous Vehicles (EAV)
- Light Autonomous Vehicles (LAV)
- Heavy Autonomous Vehicles (HAV)
- Agricultural Autonomous Vehicles (AAV)
- Test Centre (Disused Airport / Army Base)
- Experimental Roads
- Truck Lanes
- Truck Roads
- Truck Stops and Charging Stations
- Attract world class manufacturers
- R&D Credits
- Operator Training at SAIT and NAIT
- Favourable leases and energy
- Use of large scale test facility and designated roads for initial tests
- Use of all Alberta roads for advanced tests
- Information Dissemination
- Autonomous technology (AT) information dissemination to companies and interested parties especially those in Alberta directly associated with AT
- Facilitation Conduit
- for exporting Alberta based AT globally
- Aggregation of AT challenges
- Documentation of issues to be resolved and broadcasting these to the AT community so that they can pick them up to work on solutions.
- Some technological and will require development.
- Continuous feed to social and traditional media on activities / trends, etc. in AT
- This would include:
- White papers
- Technology development updates
- Tacking timeline progress
- Raise Capital
- Raise financial support to maintain the above activities
Thank you Alberta AV Network contributors:
Automating Transportation – Vision, Views and News
Vision, Mission and Action – formulated by Autonomous Alberta … providing leadership to assist Alberta in creating an environment that will enable the Province to become the first jurisdiction in North America to become autonomous technology (AT) friendly and that autonomous vehicles (AV) become pervasive as the primary means of mobility for persons, goods and services by 2028. Contact HERE
Automomous Vehicles in Alberta … Alberta should grab the opportunity and work towards an efficient modernization of its transport infrastructure and industry, to ensure the future prosperity of the province.
California OKs autonomous car testing without backup drivers … Driverless cars will be tested in California for the first time without a person behind a steering wheel under new rules that state regulators approved Monday (February 26th) for the fast-developing technology. … Until now, driverless cars could only be tested on public roads in the state if a person could take the wheel in an emergency.
Driving tests for self-driving cars – Autonomous cars should be safer than human-driven ones, but proving it will be tricky … By focusing on the acceptable rather than obsessing over perfection, and by breaking down the colossal number of safety verifications into manageable tasks, we can make self-driving vehicles a reality for many customers around the world.
The Merits of Autonomous Vehicle Testing in Calgary … Whereas autonomous vehicles are being tested in cities throughout North America … BE IT RESOLVED that …
Edmonton moves ahead on driverless vehicle testing … The technology for driverless vehicles is coming sooner than people realize, Paul Godsmark, with the Canadian Automated Vehicles Centre of Excellence, a non-profit group, told the urban planning committee.
Edmonton speeds up work on autonomous vehicles … Survey shows lots of Albertans are wary of the new technology.