ABCampus: the Vision
Something was missing. We had a strong and supportive network on campus, however industry and student from other campus' were missing. We recognized that entrepreneurship requires an environment were people can come together to allow the entrepreneurial spirit to manifest itself. As student leaders in this province we recognized that we could create a platform to bring students together in a manner that would allow ideas to spark. Furthermore, with the help of ABCtech we could then bring these ideas forward to industry and vice versa such that commercialization could result.
ABCampus: in the Making
- ABCtech approached Ryan Saunders in the Energy Club with free passes for the ABCtech AGM 2010.
- Chris Lerohl had conversation with Perry to more formally engage students through social media. ABCampus Facebook was born.
- ABCtech entered into a marketing sponsorship with the University of Alberta Energy Club to bring students to future events including the 2010 Clean Tech Conference
- With great success in student involvement ABCtech provided Ryan and Chris with more passes, which we distributed to our personal networks on campus and to the University of Alberta Energy Club network.
- Overlapping with ABCampus Facebook Ryan Saunders was approached to act as a Student Observer to the board of directors of ABCtech. This was done to formally agnoliage students involvement in ABCtech.
- Chris Lerohl felt Facebook could not adequately support ABCampus and the vision surrounding it. Ryan and Chris recognized the need to connect students across Alberta who have a similar inspiration. ABCampus was then formed with Chris and Ryan joining together to bring the vision to a more secure platform.
- Ryan and Chris met with Ashlyn Bernier who quickly recognized the need for and opportunities that ABCampus could offer. Ashlyn then joined ABCampus as the University of Alberta representative.
- Ryan, Chris and Ashlyn signed on to present to the "Next Great Wave" Conference organized by NAIT and the Alberta Graduate Conference in Calgary